Monday, February 9, 2015

Comp Strats--Monday, 2/9/15

Day Twenty-Two--Monday, 2/9/15

When You Come In
  1. Initial next to your name on my clipboard for attendance.
  2. Grab a copy of “Sibling Face-Off” and the connections worksheet from the sign-in table--please and thank you!
  3. Drop your phone in the phone hostage center.  Put your phone BEHIND your name card, please.
  4. Grab your book and your orange sheet for free reading later.

Organization
  1. Take a look at your grade for the last week of reading.  Here are the dates possible:  1/29, 1/30, ⅔, 2/4, 2/6.
  2. Possible points are out of 25.
  3. If you were absent, or if you didn’t read because you were doing make-up work, and you want to make up your points, grab a sheet from the drawer.
  4. If you want all your points, please fill out your sheet accurately.  I can only give you the points based on the evidence you provide me with.  Thanks!
  5. Okay, everyone pass that used sheet back to me, and I’m going to give you a new one to start today.  

Strategy Practice:  Making Connections Between THE TEXT and MYSELF--“Sibling Face-Off”
  1. Strategy #1:  Read the questions first.  Underline information as I read, when you find the answers.
  2. Strategy #2:  Making connections--Grab a “My Personal Connections” handout.
  3. I’m going to modify how we do this.  Instead of fillint out the left column with quotes from the text, I want you to HIGHLIGH T the sentence in the text you connect with, label it #1, then write your personal connection on the worksheet in the right column.
  4. I’m going to read this aloud, and we’re going to stop and make connections as we go.
  5. Please be ready to discuss your connections--no dead dogs today!  :-)
  6. 10:48--With the partner I give you, please complete questions #1-11 in the back, then turn the packet in to the drawer.
  • When you finish, put both papers in the drawer, then find a comfy spot, fill out your orange sheet, and read and relax!  :-)


READ AND RELAX PROCEDURE, REPEATING
Reminder:  
  • Read until I stop you; do not quit early and start filling out your sheet, etc.  
  • Quitting early means you will only earn a “3,” at best for your daily reading today.  
  • I promise I will let you know when it is time to put away in plenty of time to pack up.  
  • Don’t I always?!

Read and Relax
  • Get your daily reading log and your reading book
  • Fill it out.
  • Read and enjoy your just-right book.

Last Few Minutes
Complete your daily reading log
a.     time ended
b.    page ended
c.     TOTAL PAGES READ.
2.     Rate yourself. (5, 4, 3, 2, 1)
3. Put your daily reading log and book over on the table where it was when class started (or take your book with you, if you’re reading outside of class).

Homework for Tomorrow

  • Study for the vocab test.  Here’s what it looks like on schoology!

No comments: