Thursday, January 8, 2015

Comp Strats--Thursday, January 8th, 2015

2nd Block:  Comprehension Strategies/ACT Prep


Day Two--January 8th, 2015
We had no school January 6th and 7th due to weather.

When You Come In
1.      Find your seat (the one with an pink post-it note with your name on it), and drop off your stuff.
2.     Initial next to your name on my clipboard for attendance (on the table at the front of the room).
3.     Drop your phone in the phone hostage center.  Put your phone BEHIND your name card, please.  

Organizational Reminders
  1. Schoology--this is where you go to make sure you have completed required class work:  http://schoology.washington.k12.ia.us/course/127570291/materials
  2. Check your grades in schoology every day.  How long does that take?
  3. Check your grades in schoology when you’re absent.  If we do an assignment in class, MOST of the time, I will have that posted in schoology by classtime.  When you were a little kid, a day off school was really a day off.  Now that you’re a junior or senior in high school, a missed day of school is not a freebie.  You’ve got to get in the the habit--if you haven’t already--of finding out what you missed, then making it up.
  4. Check the blog when you’re absent.  Literally EVERYTHING I put up on the screen in class will be there.
  5. Come see me during advisory, if you have a question about something we did in class, or e-mail me.  You know when is NOT a good time to ask me about missed work?  ...during passing period right before your class!  
  6. Never come to class and ask me a question like this, “Did we do anything yesterday?”  ...or, “What did I miss yesterday?”  What I hear is this:  “I know you spend time every day updating your blog so people who miss class can stay caught up; I know you spend time every day updating schoology so that every student has clear guidelines for assignments; I know class is about to start in thirty seconds--but I don’t want to check the blog or schoology, or come in during seminar when I could actually ask a real question about the work I missed. I have ignored everything you’ve said about how to make up my absent work.  I haven’t even attempted to take responsibility for my own learning.  And now I want to make it someone else’s job to take care of me.”  

Why We Study Vocabulary
  • What is the number one indicator of your reading comprehension?

  • ...your vocabulary!

  • So to understand and remember better, you have to learn, learn, learn more vocabulary.


Vocabulary Review (Five-ish minutes)
  • Take a look at your orange sheet from Monday.  Review/study your two words from yesterday:  novice and adversity.  
    • How do you study?  
    • What will you look like when you study?  
    • What will your brain be doing?

EVERYBODY UP!  YAY, VOCAB!

Novice
  1. Repeat after me!
  2. Synonyms
  3. Antonyms
  4. Examples of people who are NOVICES

Adversity
  1. Repeat after me!
  2. Synonyms
  3. Examples of adversities
  4. Antonyms
    1. Encouragement
    2. Good fortune
    3.  Good luck
    4. Blessing

Vocabulary—New     (15 minutes)
Circuitous
Antonym        =          DIRECT; STRAIGHTFORWARD
1.   The road to Riverside is circuitous, so sometimes I slow down on the curves.
2. I needed to waste time, so I took a CIRCUITOUS route to get where I wanted to go.
3.      I tried to follow his argument while he was talking, but he was speaking in such a CIRCUITOUS way, I couldn’t grasp his main idea.




Synonyms for AUGMENT:
  1. to increase
  2. to supplement
  3. to broaden
  4. to enhance
  5. to widen
  6. to magnify
  7. to expand
  8. to intensify
  9. to enlarge
10.  To amplify
NOW CIRCLE THREE SYNONYMS THAT MAKE MOST SENSE TO YOU.


Why Read?
  • Readers get better at reading by reading.  There is no way around this.  
  • Three days a week, you will have thirty minutes of uninterrupted time to read a book you choose.  
  • Your book needs to be a “just right” book.

Kinds of Books
  • Easy
  • Just Right
  • Challenge

Read-and-Relax Organization Reminders
  1. I’m going to hand out and explain the Daily Reading Log.  You’ll start keeping track today--yee-haw!
  2. Keep your green bookmark in your book.  We won’t use it until Monday, but starting next week, we’ll  use it twice or three times a week.


Last Three Minutes of Class
  1. Fill out your Daily Reading Log accurately.
  2. Place it in the folder for your class, which I’m going to show you.
  3. Grab your phone from the hostage center.
Hang out at your desk--no surging!  No surging!

No comments: