2nd Block: Comprehension Strategies/ACT Prep
Day Two--January 8th, 2015
We had no school January 6th and 7th due to weather.
When You Come In
1. Find your seat (the one with an pink post-it note with your name on it), and drop off your stuff.
2. Initial next to your name on my clipboard for attendance (on the table at the front of the room).
3. Drop your phone in the phone hostage center. Put your phone BEHIND your name card, please.
Why We Study Vocabulary
Vocabulary Review (Five-ish minutes)
EVERYBODY UP! YAY, VOCAB!
Vocabulary—New (15 minutes)
Antonym = DIRECT; STRAIGHTFORWARD
1. The road to Riverside is circuitous, so sometimes I slow down on the curves.
2. I needed to waste time, so I took a CIRCUITOUS route to get where I wanted to go.
3. I tried to follow his argument while he was talking, but he was speaking in such a CIRCUITOUS way, I couldn’t grasp his main idea.
Synonyms for AUGMENT:
10. To amplify
NOW CIRCLE THREE SYNONYMS THAT MAKE MOST SENSE TO YOU.
Kinds of Books
Read-and-Relax Organization Reminders
- I’m going to hand out and explain the Daily Reading Log. You’ll start keeping track today--yee-haw!
- Keep your green bookmark in your book. We won’t use it until Monday, but starting next week, we’ll use it twice or three times a week.
Last Three Minutes of Class
- Fill out your Daily Reading Log accurately.
- Place it in the folder for your class, which I’m going to show you.
- Grab your phone from the hostage center.