3rd Block: Advanced Creative Writing
Day Six--Wednesday, January 14th, 2014
GRAB A GREEN PACKET OFF THE SIGN-IN TABLE, PLEASE AND THANK YOU!
- 12:35-1:10 Class again!
- Pass back papers!
- Put your names on both sides of the tab, please!
Class Discussion: Big Word for the Week = DICTION!
1. What does it mean? What is it?
2. Why does one word matter?
3. How can it affect your writing?
Playing with Words!
1. Go the the website below, and browse the list of words that this organization is trying to save.
2. After you browse for fifteen minutes, find FIVE you want to save.
3. Go to our class folder, and find the spreadsheet called “Saved Words”. Type the word, the part of speech, and the definition, then a sentence about why you want to save it. I’ve put a few models there for you. You’re welcome!
5. BE PATIENT--THE LINK TAKES A MINUTE OR TWO TO LOAD!
6. We will discuss your “saved words” tomorrow!
Take the whole fifteen minutes to explore and enjoy! Don’t rush! There is no “finishing early!”
- Okay, so today is about diction, and we just spent time looking at and thinking about words that have been taken out of the dictionary because of lack of use. They’re going extinct.
- So now we’re going to flip this and look at it from another angle. What words are used in 2014-2015 that you wish would go extinct? The next assignment is all about that. :-)
Independent Online Investigation and Reading: Banished Words List
- I’ll explain the assignment on page 31 and show you where everything is.
- You browse the word lists from the past few years for fifteen minutes.
2014: (correct link is on schoology assignment)
3. As you go, jot down any words that you agree REALLY needed to be banned.
4. You create a list of ten words you want banned, along with a sentence or two about why. Use Tyler’s model on page 31 as your guide.5. Save your list in the google docs folder for class.