- 2nd Block: Comprehension Strategies/ACT Prep
- DAY FIVE--January 13th, 2015
- Happy Tuesday!
When You Come In
New Vocabulary--Get two new words for today:
Write down TWO sentences of someone being RESILIENT and recovering from an ADVERSITY, like this:
- My grandma had cancer, which was an ADVERSITY to our whole family. But she had chemotherapy, and now she’s recovering. She’s been RESILIENT.
- We faced the ADVERSITY of Mid-Prairie scoring on us, but we worked together as a team and were RESILIENT and scored on them.
- Let me hear some of yours now.
Write down TWO celebrities or famous people you feel are arrogant and stuck-up.
- Arianna Grande
- Kanye West
- Miley Cyrus
- LeBron James
- Cristiano Reynaldo
- Kim Kardashian
- Let me hear some more--not actual people at WHS! ...famous people or famous characters! :-)
Unscramble one synonym (similar word) and one antonym (opposite).
o Synonym = PROUD
o Antonym = HUMBLE
Strategy Instruction: Making Inferences
- What do we already know about making an inference?
- When have we made an inference before?
- Read the advice on making inferences here: Inference Advice
- When you finish reading, go to the phone table, and get “Inference Practice Questions 1.”
- Read the first two model examples (#1 and #2), then complete the front and back side of the worksheet. You’re making inferences--yay!
- Turn this into the drawer.
- Grab the next handout handout called, “Making an Inference from a Photo.”
- Please read the “Preparation--Red this:” notes, as well as the directions.
- Look at the pictures here: Making an Inference from a Photo
- Complete your handout with your inferences about each photo, then turn it in.
Read and Relax
- Get your daily reading log and your reading book
- Fill it out.
- Read and enjoy your just-right book.
Complete your daily reading log
a. time ended
b. page ended
c. TOTAL PAGES READ.
2. Rate yourself. (5, 4, 3, 2, 1)3. Put your daily reading log and book over on the table where it was when class started (or take your book with you, if you’re reading outside of class).