Friday, November 7th, 2014
- Please sign in.
- Put your phone in the hostage center, please.
- Check schoology two minutes each day--make sure you know what is happening in class, and know what you’re responsible for.
Writing Lesson Review
- What is diction?
- How is diction important when you write?
- What does it mean to be “precise?”
- What does avoiding clichés have to do with diction?
- Get back page 13, and put it back in your binder. What should we remember in our own writing, based on page 13?
- Am I developing a theme here?
- Word of the Day = DICTION! (…shocking surprise, I know.)
Assignment #1: Save the Words!
- Go the the website below, and browse the list of words that this organization is trying to save: http://web.archive.org/web/20110325150610/http://www.savethewords.org/
- BE PATIENT--THE LINK TAKES A MINUTE OR TWO TO LOAD!
- Here is another link to pull words from: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-anthony-jones/forgotten-words_b_5985494.html?utm_hp_ref=tw
- After you browse for fifteen minutes, find FIVE you want to save.
- Go to our class folder, and find the spreadsheet called “Saved Words”: https://docs.google.com/a/washington.k12.ia.us/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aopq4r-bWrm_dHJxb205YjkzdVA5aUlRVVhyeVlaY3c&usp=drive_web#gid=0
- Type the word, the part of speech, and the definition, then a sentence about why you want to save it. I’ve put a few models there for you. You’re welcome! :-)
- We will discuss your “saved words” MONDAY!
- Take the whole fifteen minutes to explore and enjoy! Don’t rush! There is no “finishing early!”
Assignment #2: Death of Language (page 19)
1. Explanation of assignment
2. Discussion of “A” models
3. Why you’re using dictionaries for this assignment
4. Workshop time = Twenty full minutes right now to browse the dictionary
- Started @ 2:46
- Mid-point @ 2:58
- Ending to share out with a partner at 3:08
- Oops--I forgot D. is giving her speech today! Let’s roll!
1. Get with a partner, and trade word lists.
2. Star the two words you like the best.
3. Define any words for your partner as needed.
4. Sign the bottom of your partner’s paper.
5. Each of you come type your FAVORITE word so far here:
- closet queen
- Azo Dye