College-Prep Skill: Note-Taking by Hand
History Channel’s “Gods and Goddesses”
1. Some of what you’re about to hear will be familiar, reinforcing material you’re learning.
2. Some will be brand new.
3. What strategies do you have for note-taking?
4. Take five minutes to quietly review the three websites YOU said would be most helpful to you in college note-taking. These should be bookmarked on your computer.
5. At the top of your notebook paper, write down THREE pieces of advice you’re going to follow today to take useful notes. (Let’s share five or six here:)
- Only take notes on one side of the paper.
- Listen to key words/phrases--REPEATED.
- Don’t write down complete sentences--waste of time; summarize or get main points.
- Don’t worry about spelling or grammar.
- Be consistent with your form and with your abbreviation.