- Happy Tuesday, September 23rd, 2014
- Finish watching the last 25 minutes of the movie, and finish your notes.
- Compare and contrast--Disney version versus Greek myth.
- Turn in your notes to the drawer please, after you put your name on them.
New Vocab List (Oedipus)--(handout)
- We’re going to talk about the words a little--take notes on your handout. (We went over words #1-#10.)
- Bring your earbuds to class tomorrow.
- We are embarking on a reading of the Greek tragedy, Oedipus Rex, or Oedipus the King.
- Now, I need you to do some background reading.
Background Reading and Annotating
- Start in class, and finish for homework.
- Mythological Background (p. 65)
- Tragedy and the City (p. 67)
- Conventions of Greek Drama (p. 68)
- Aristotle’s Influence, starting at “Aristotle and, nevertheless….” (pp. 69-70)
Tuesday, September 23rd, 2014
When You Come In
- Sign in.
- Grab your book and your pink sheet.
- Take the vocab test.
- Turn it in the drawer as soon as you finish it.
- Read and relax until I stop you.
- Started test at _________
(Ending about 2:25)
Read and Relax (Thirty Minutes)
- ...no music today--please put your phones and headphones away.
- Started at
3rd Block (checklist on schoology)
Read-aloud and Strategy Practice
- Grab a copy of the article, “Sibling Face-Off.”
- Number your paragraphs, like I’m showing you on the big screen.
- Draw a family tree showing your LINEAGE on the front right corner--I need parents and you and your siblings; do you know how to draw that?
- As I read, I’m going to ask you to use specific reading strategies: connect, clarify, and comment mainly.
- I need to hear from everyone in discussion, so at times I will call on you by name, rather than asking for hands of volunteers.
- Adamaris, will you put a check mark next to people when I call their names?
Pair-Share to Answer Questions
- At the end of the reading, there are eleven questions I want you and your partner to answer together.
- Here’s how it works:
- Read the question aloud.
- Talk about possible answers.
- Refer BACK TO THE TEXT to check your answer.
- Each of you write the correct answer on your paper.
- Keep focused on your work, because you need to complete the questions in fifteen minutes.
- When you complete questions #1-11, come get the answer key, and check your answers.
- “X” any you got wrong, then talk with your partner about why you guys missed that one.
- Put your name on your packet, then turn it in to the drawer, please.
Think about it: why didn’t we read the questions first on this assignment?