Thursday, October 10th, 2013
New Writing Assignment
- We went to Stewart today to work with our Writing Buddies on the Russian Tailor Poem!
Days Remaining in Term = 11
“A Modest Proposal”
By Jonathan Swift
Background About “A Modest Proposal”
By considering this information, we are taking a HISTORICAL APPROACH to the reading.
1. written by Jonathan Swift
a) life and death = 1667-1745
b) published it in 1729 as a pamphlet (a kind of essay in an unbound booklet).
c) well-known as the author of the satirical political fantasy, Gulliver's Travels.
2. Conditions in Ireland
a) not an independent country
b) far poorer than England.
c) Most people born there were Roman Catholics and employed as agricultural laborers or tenant farmers.
d) The landlords (landowners) were paid from the produce of the land, at rates workers could rarely afford.
e) This ruling class were usually Protestants. Many of them were not born in Ireland, nor did they live there permanently.
f) If the laborers lost their work, there would always be other poor people to take it up.
g) There was no social security system and starvation was as common as in the Third World today.
h) Swift knows, in writing the Proposal, that in living memory, Irish people had been driven to cannibalism.
1. We read and discussed about a page of the essay. We listened to the audio, and we annotated as we read.
2. We reminded ourselves over and over, this is SATIRE! :-)
Johnathon Swift’s “A Modest Proposal”
“Modest Proposal” HOMEWORK:
· Read the first five paragraphs on page three, and annotate thoughtfully!