Annotations and Discussion
- We took about twenty minutes to annotate Alayna's and Ethan's and Kathleen's poems.
- We then read them all aloud, and discussed them thoroughly.
- I explained the homework assignment, going over all the information on the Form and Meaning assignment on page 3.
- I read the two poems on page 22, as further examples of how you can use sound in a poem.
- We read "The Bells" aloud, discussing at the end of each section. (p. 20)
- Type a ten-twenty line poem using the prompt from Form and Meaning on page 3
Writing Lesson #1
- Beginning a New Paragraph--we read this aloud together as a class. (p. 28)
- We practiced putting in paragraphs on page 29--an excerpt from author John Green.
- We compared our answers with a partner, making changes if needed.
- We looked at the author's version of paragraph breaks, and we talked about how ours were similar, and how ours were different.
- We did a paper pass-back and a folder log-in.
- We got the new unit today.
Writing Lesson #2
Making Line Breaks
- I read the directions, then modeled how to work with partners to complete the assignment on page 30.
- We took ten minutes with partners to break the poems into lines, then talk about how and why.
- We got back together as a class to chat about the hows and whys, after we looked at the authors' original breaks.
- Journal #2
- We read!
- And I put in daily reading grade.