- I explained how to prepare for a book chat using Austin's bookmark journal model.
- I explained how to do make-up reading and keep track of it (neon green handout).
- Shannyn established the carpet corner system.
- I talked with everyone about his/her daily reading grade, and I did book chats with people who needed them.
- Scary Starter Story
- We wrote or typed for fifteen minutes about our best Halloween or fall memory. (We brainstormed for ideas first, and we got a solid collection of ideas put up on the board.)
- I went over expectations for the small groups, and then we broke into groups of five to share the Scary Stories, and give people a couple of comments.
- We got log-in sheets and logged in our first three pieces.
- We got our folders and decorated them.
- We got our index cards, and we decorated them as nametags.
- We discussed your questions for half an hour.
- We went over the vocabulary, pronouncing every word and reviewing the definition very briefly.
- I passed out the additional glossary, but we didn't have time to discuss it--more Monday.
- After lunch we spent fifteen minutes with a partner finding the vocabulary in the book and explaining how the word was being used in context.
- I showed Romanticism Powerpoint #1, and people took notes.
- Read the Professor Foster chapter 10, "It's More Than Just Rain or Snow".
- Read the novel up through page 54. Please continue the solid job you are doing with close reading, and be ready for a reading quiz Monday.