Here's what we did in class today:
For your daily vocabulary grade today, please do the following:
- 1. On your green handout, write down, “Areas Where You Can Be a CONNOISSEUR”.
- 2. As you watch the slideshow, write down the areas in which you can be a CONNOISSEUR.
- 3. Talk to me about what you saw!
What We’re Connoisseurs At:
Texting x 3; Chocolate milk x 2; Quarterback-ing; Music; Sleeping; Bacon; Pickles; Serve-receive; Softball; Ham; Pickle-wraps; Music; Books; Swimming; Steak; Bowling; Alfredo; Soccer; Macaroni
- 1. Write down three situations in which a person might keep himself/herself ALOOF from others. Make sure you write them down in enough detail that I can see your thinking.
- 2. Talk to me about one of your situations.
- · I might keep myself ALOOF from other people if I’m a foreign exchange student, and I don’t know how to speak the language.
- · I might keep myself ALOOF if I’m a new student and keep myself away from others.
- · I might keep myself ALOOF from other people if I’m sick and stay away from people so I don’t get them sick.
- · I might be ALOOF when my mom comes to check my room, because I don’t want to clean it.
- · I might be ALOOF if I’m mad at someone and don’t want to see them so I won’t blow up at them, or punch them in the gut, or stab them in the eye with a pencil.
- · I might be ALOOF if I’m tired, because I stay away from people so I can rest.
- · I might be ALOOF if I’m in the grocery store and see someone I know, but I don’t want to talk to them, so I dart into a different aisle.
Six-Way Paragraph Directions
- 1. Now, instead of doing the six-way paragraph by yourself today, you’re going to work on it WITH a partner.
- 2. Read the questions aloud first.
- 3. Then read the piece to yourself.
- 4. Then discuss and answer the questions.
When You’re Finished
· Quiz each other over the green vocab grids—the vocab test is Friday.
· We’ll check the six-way when I see everyone quizzing each other on the vocab words.
After We Check the Paragraph
· Score your page, and plot your score on the hot pink sheet.
· Put the papers you’re getting back into the correct sections of your binder.
Read and Relax
- 1. Do a Bookmark Journal today on PREDICTION. It should start like this, “I think what will happen next is….”
- 2. Re-do your inference, if I wrote you a note to do so. An inference should start like this, “Even though it doesn’t say it in the text, I think what’s really going on is….”
- 3. Chat with me about make-up reading, if you have some you need me to put in the gradebook.
- 4. Have a book chat with me if you’ve finished a book. I’m going off the yellow and orange lists on the board.
- 5. No one is in the carpet corner today. You need to be in your HOME SEATS for Read-and-Relax.