- We talked about our trip to Stewart yesterday, and we talked about our plans for the children's stories. I put everyone's comments up on the big screen.
- We brainstormed about what we could do with the first-graders, if we made another trip over to Stewart: have them look at our story thus far and comment on it.
- I handed out the blank storyboards and talked about how we will use them for our children's stories.
- I handed back the Autobiographical Poem rough drafts, and I put up a snippet from everyone's poem on the Big Screen. We talked about how to be successful with each aspect of the rubric: title, details, order, line breaks, diction.... We spent time talking about WHAT made certain titles effective, and HOW people were breaking their lines, and WHY people put things in a certain order in their poem.
- We had twenty minutes to work towards our final draft of the Autobiographical Poem, which is due FRIDAY.
Writing Lesson #2
- We quickly reviewed Connotation and Denotation (p. 28), and then we spent time talking about loaded words: words that sound funny, without meaning anything funny; sad, loud, quiet, etc. (p. 29)
- After talking about the different between thinking on a figurative level and a literal level, people paired up to continue working on page 29. It was obvious from discussions I heard that people were elevating their thinking to a figurative level.
- Two Lenses Poem and Photo Memory Memoir, IF you did not hand them in yesterday
- Everyone saved a poem that has not been workshopped on the Big Screen into the "Poem Workshop" folder in the student volume.
- We worked on our Graphic Memoir (due Friday).
Big Screen Sharing (Twenty Minutes)
- We read and workshopped Katey Jo's poem, Tyler's poem, and Jamie's memoir. Everyone made thoughtful comments about the work. (We will continue workshopping tomorrow and Friday.)
- We spent the last fifteen minutes of class typing a poem/letter to our future child. I read the directions on page 6, and I read Ben's model, and then we started typing.
- The Graphic Memoir is due FRIDAY.