- We briefly reviewed page 74 and talked about how Frankenstein resonates with this genre.
- We viewed a slideshow about Gothic architecture. We talked about what it seemed to be characterized by: arches, giant scale, big windows, ornate detail, spires, general pointiness. :-)
- In groups, we translated the passage on pages 81-2 into #1) modern American English, and #2) Minimalist English (after reviewing some of the trademarks of minimalist writing).
- We viewed the William Blake slideshow, took a few casual notes about our responses, and discussed resonances we saw with literature, music, and architecture.
- We talked in some detail about what it is, and how it is (p. 76). We took notes on that page as well.
- We reviewed the words once--the vocabulary quiz is on Friday.
Web Links for Today--Sarah and Nolan, please view them at home since you missed today's class.
- Read pages 125-140.
- We will have today's reading quiz (up through page 125) tomorrow. :-)
Fluency Final Preparation
- Everyone finished his or her prep sheet by listing the characteristics of a strong reader (like Mrs. Weidner).
- Everyone completed Fluency Prep Work #1 by going through one of their children's books and noting details about super signals, phrasing, and expression.
- We got into trios, and we went to our practice rooms, and everyone read one of his or her stories aloud. The listeners filled out the fluency rubrics, to let readers know how they are doing.
Read and Relax
- We had about fifteen minutes today.
I talked about problems facing this class, and I asked people to write about possible solutions.
Everyone then continued with the items on the checklist.