Good Readers/Good Writers
- We spent the first few minutes of class talking with a partner about our ten annotations.
- We discussed Nabokov's essay as a class, briefly, and Nolan and Greta were kind enough to re-enact the scene in with the reader meets the writer at the top of a hill. :-)
- We reviewed several "good reader" posts from the wiki. Many people hit on some of the same ideas as Nabokov did in his essay.
- We worked about forty minutes on the mythology powerpoints, and everyone finished.
- I handed out and went over the Reading Journal expectations.
- Nabokov Reading Journal (p. 4)
- I handed out and went over the syllabus.
- I answered people's questions.
- I talked briefly about how and why I teach this class. The most important thing to remember is that anyone can become a better reader by using strategies and by reading more.
- We learned the following words: novice, adversity, and impudent.
- We worked with the words on our green handout.
- We recorded the three new words on our green vocabulary grids.
- We did our first six-way paragraph today, "The Story of the Hamburger".
- These paragraphs will help us practice key comprehension skills like determining the main idea, understanding vocabulary words in context, and making inferences.
- At the end of the block, each person checked and scored his/her own paragraph, then turned them in.
- We read for about twenty-five minutes today.