The House on Mango Street
Motifs--I put up on the big screen all the motifs you suggested yesterday on your quiz as follows:
- Contrast between Esperanza's Mexican heritage and her American culture
- Sisters--growing closer/appreciated Nenny
- Racial Bias/Bigotry
- Maturity/Growing Up
- Finding a home
We talked about where we see these ideas throughout the novella.
We discussed any questions people had about the book.
We took the quiz over pages 72-110.
- I read everyone's villanelles aloud (without saying whose it was), and they were wonderful!
- In a small number of cases, we identified the author, but overall, we had no idea who wrote what--they were such great surprises!
- For Tuesday, 4/13, complete your essay over "A Rose for Emily".
- Self-assess on the yellow rubric, circling the number you think you earned, and writing little notes about why you gave yourself the number.
There is nothing due for tomorrow, Thursday.
- We read, worked on book reports, and looked for new books.
- At the end of the block, we went around the room quickly and showed people what we were reading.
- Thanks to Koby, who brought us snacks today. :-)
- We read and selected! Again! :-)
- Wear your shirts tomorrow.
- Be ready for our jaunt tomorrow.