The House on Mango Street
- We talked about the motifs we didn't get to discuss yesterday.
- We reread "The Monkey Garden" chapter.
- We got into pairs, and we each drew eight things that we saw (or heard, or smelled) in the Monkey Garden on a poster.
- We posted the posters at the front of the room, and we had a gallery walk.
Essay Writing (In-Class Writing Workshop)
- We spent about five minutes filling out the yellow writing rubric for the "A Rose for Emily" essay, then turned those in.
- We picked up copies of They Say/I Say, and put it in the writing section of our binder.
- I handed out and went over the Mango essay guidelines, as well as a list of the motifs everyone in class came up with.
- I handed out and went over the outline for this essay.
- We spent the rest of the block reading "The Art of Citation", thinking about our topic, starting our outlines, and starting to write our essays.
- We updated the yellow Reading Records, as needed.
- We did book reports.
- We read.
- A few people did book reports, or signed up to do verbal book chats with me tomorrow.
- A few people picked out new books.
- Most people read all block.
- We went to Breadeaux for seminar/lunch, and then we headed to the Public Library.
- We found a quiet corner to read it, and we read and selected for about forty-five minutes. The reading was very focused, and we decided a lot of pieces.
- I read the villanelles for decisions.
- We read and selected.