Day Thirty-Five--Happy Friday! 2/27/15
When You Come In
Focus for the Last Eleven Days
Writing Lesson: Show, Don’t Just Tell
Review--pass back page 32 from yesterday, so you can put that back in your binder.
1. Difference between “literal” and “figurative language” (p. 32)
2. Least Vivid to Most Vivid (p. 32 )
3. Diction Sandra Cisneros (p. 32)
4. Vocabulary Variety—reminder
Writing Lesson: Show, Don’t Just Tell—How to Create Imagery
1. Imagery (Emily Bronte)—(p. 33) https://docs.google.com/a/washington.k12.ia.us/document/d/1D3KtU8hrmbonPcARHIgXf38Yv-SKlPLl6SeK1WiK9tA/edit
- What time is it?
- We have to start working on the Prompt Word Peer Conference no later than 2:55!
Writing Assignment: Sense Poem Pre-Write
1. Think of a place you love to be.
2. Fill out the Visualizing Worksheet listing twenty concrete details.) https://docs.google.com/a/washington.k12.ia.us/document/d/1mdcYwaV1V1E8YDxMfIFElepYbZWLAFszYl8SvgwPJhw/edit
NOTE: I want you to think about what you’ve learned about diction, about one word making a difference, about vivid and precise writing when you list your details.
3. Number them.
4. Use your Vocab Variety sheet for help with diction.
Trade! On your partner’s paper, do the following:
FINALLY, make sure your name and topic are listed in the top right box, then turn this sheet into the drawer.
2:55 at the latest! Prompt Word Poem Peer Conference
- You had a twenty-five line start due by the beginning of class today.
- We’re doing to peer conference it now, using the rubric to help us make comments.
- You as the reader fill out the RIGHT column with numbers, then fill the blanks out with evidence from the poem to support your score.
- Make AT LEAST ten comments on the writer’s draft online, just like you did with the Childhood Fear Poem and the Autobio Poem.
- Writer, you do nothing on the rubric at all.
- Reader, give the rubric to the writer when you finish.
- I will take up the rubric before you leave, and we will use it Monday to make final revisions on this piece.
- I am going to give you ______minutes to continue working on it now.
- Complete the no red ink grammar activities.