Day Thirty-Four--Happy Thursday, 2/26/15!
When You Come In
Focus for the Last Twelve Days
- Showing, Not Just Telling
Writing Lesson: Showing, Not Just Telling
1. Difference between “literal” and “figurative language” (page 32)
B) Poster: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/literally
2. Least Vivid to Most Vivid (page 32 )--Place the sentences in order form least vivid description to most vivid description.
A) Our barelegged mammas dance down the steps and join us in the rain.
B) Our barelegged mammas come down the steps and join us in the rain.
C) Our barelegged mammas dance down the steps and join us in the fresh, clean rain.
D) Our barelegged mammas come down the steps and join us in the fresh, clean rain.
3. Diction Sandra Cisneros (p. 32) https://docs.google.com/a/washington.k12.ia.us/document/d/12ni98K3zGfFb6YycpIqJ2mnMfwLM9uO0PhQBWdO1CFU/edit
4. Diction Reminders: Your Vocabulary Variety Sheet and www.thesaurus are your constant companions when you write for the rest of the term.
Daily Points: Turn It In for a Daily Grade
· Please put your name at the top of page 32, and turn it into the drawer.
- One word can make a difference!
- How is this notion connected to the assignment you are currently working on--the Prompt Word Poem?
Prompt Word Poem (pages 23-25)
- You had a ten-line start due by the beginning of class today.
- What strategies did you use to get started writing on this poem?
- I am going to give you ______minutes to continue working on it now.
- Have at least twenty-five lines written on your Prompt Word Poem when class begins tomorrow.