Friday, February 20, 2015

Creative Writing--Thursday, 2/19/15

Day Twenty-Nine--Thursday, 2/19/15

When You Come In
  1. Sign in, please.
  2. Put your phone in the hostage center.


  • TODAY’S BIG GOAL:  Apply what you learned from the writing lessons about PARAGRAPHING and about WRITING AND EDITING DIALOGUE.  Please and thank you!

(1) Partner Dialogue Story:  Conferencing and Revision to Final Draft
  1. Open the doc of the first story to read.
  2. Change the Editing bar to “Suggesting.”  This will allow you to make corrections and suggestions, then comment on the side why you did that.  Also, it enables the writers to really think about the change you’re suggesting they make.
  3. Read the story I assign you.
  4. Each partner makes FOUR comments on the story.  (So by the time you and your partner have read that story, there will be EIGHT total comments on it--got it?)
    1. two positive comments--things the writers are doing well
    2. two negative comments--things the writers could make stronger
  5. Repeat this process with the other two stories I give you.
  6. Now you and your partner read the comments you got on your story, and revise your Partner Dialogue Story to a final draft, making sure you can answer “YES” to all the items you copied and pasted at the top of your doc!

(2) College Preparation and Senior Year Registration assignment on schoology

(3) Study new quizlet terms for ten minutes.  Time yourself.  I will check at the end of the block to see what you studied.

(4)Personal Essay (on schoology)

Writing Workshop:

Directions:
  1. Open a blank google doc.
  2. Copy the directions in purple (below), then paste them into the top of your doc.
  3. Read the directions carefully, so you BEGIN WITH THE END IN MIND.
  4. Start your essay!  
  5. Finish for homework (due @ tardy bell FRIDAY)

You must answer "YES" to all the following questions for 100% on this assignment.
1.      The piece is a minimum of 500 words.  My word count is in parentheses beside my name.
2.     I used paragraphs to show my shifting ideas.  I worked hard on this, since paragraphs help my reader understand me, and since we’ve been talking about paragraphing for the last week.
3.     I used the correct MLA format for heading.
4.     I doublespaced the whole piece.
5.     I included at least five specific examples to support what I’m saying--these five specific examples are highlighted in yellow.
6.     I used thesaurus.com to replace at least five words I ordinarily use with five more powerful, precise words--these words are highlighted in pink.
7.     All above items are complete by classtime FRIDAY  at which time I will submit it to Willis as she directs me to.

No comments: