Day Twenty--Thursday, 2/5/15
When You Come In
- Initial next to your name on my clipboard for attendance.
- Put a reminder in your phone NOW for 9:30am tomorrow that you need to BRING HEADPHONES to class (Friday).
- You will literally get a grade for walking in the door with headphones--100%.
- If you have to leave to go get them, you earn 50%.
- If you don’t have them at all, you earn a zero.
- Drop your phone in the phone hostage center. Put your phone BEHIND your name card, please.
- We are not reading and relaxing today.
Read-Aloud and Strategy Practice
- Please get out your copy of “Strategy Review.” Let’s take a look at it on the big screen.
- I’m going to read aloud a short story to you--like I did with “The Wife’s Tale”--and you’re going to do the following:
- highlight and define unknown vocab words as we read--Megan will have them up on the big screen
- Make at least one annotation per paragraph. Use shorthand to show me which strategy you’re using, then write your annotation.
- Discuss your annotations as we read. Can I get someone to keep track of discussion?
- “The Sniper” vocabulary list is here: http://www.vocabulary.com/lists/198518#view=notes
- Connection: How many of you have seen “American Sniper?”
- What is involved in being a sniper, in doing that as a job? Just think about the basic logistics….
- Now think in more psychological and emotional terms--what does Chris Kyle struggle with at times?
- Take the paper pre-test. Yes, the vocab words are up on the board now, but they won’t be tomorrow, so don’t peek at them!
- Come get a key, and grade your pre-test.
- Get on quizlet, and STAR the words you still don’t know.
- Study those words on quizlet now, since the for-real test is tomorrow.
- If you ace your pre-test, study the ACT prep words!