Advanced Creative Writing
Day Thirty--Friday, February, 20th, 2015
Big Idea = SHORT STORY!
The following should be saved in our class folders by now, because I’m using them to put you with partners.
- Five pages on your story
- Short Story--whole thing! :-)
- Copy and paste these directions to the top of the short story, and then perform an excellent, thoughtful peer conference to help the writer create his final draft.
- Make AT LEAST thirty comments (on average, six comments per page, which is pretty minimal) on the story.
- Comment on the following:
- Do the characters feel like real people?
- What great details is the writer using to establish characters?
- Where in the story should the writer develop characters more?
- Do you have a clear vision of WHEN and WHERE the story is occurring?
- What great details is the writer using to establish setting?
- Where in the story should the writer develop setting more?
- How is the writer using dialogue, snapshots and thoughtshots?
- Where are they working?
- Where does the writer need to work more?
- What are the writer’s best, most powerful words?
- Are there any clichés that need to be eliminated?
- Are there words that aren’t needed, that can be deleted?
- is the writer paying attention to the connotation of the words, as well as the denotation?
- How can you tell?
- Is the title strong?
- Does it add a dimension to the piece
- We completed the peer conference, then we worked on the story, based on or peer comments.