Day Nine--Tuesday, January 20th, 2015
When You Come In
Please initial next to your name on the clipboard.
Pick up TWO Cliché Pair Story Comments sheet
- Put your phone in the phone hostage station (back circle table by the windows).
- Grab your manila folder off the front table.
Free Write #3
- Use Writing Resistance Topics, if desired.
- Write the full ten minutes without stopping.
- Start 1:57
- End 2:08
Writing Lesson Review
- What is DICTION?
- How can one word make a difference? (pages 11-12)
- I am about to serve you a dinner plate. From the TASTE category, put a frownie face by three words you would NOT want to describe this dish you’re about to eat.
- From the MOVING FAST category, put a smiley by the three words that put a strong picture in your mind of what the person/thing moving looks like.
- Describe your ideal hair! Using APPEARANCE and TOUCH, put an “H” next to the five words you’d want to describe your ideal hair.
- What are clichés?
- Why are clichés bad for your writing?
Sharing: Cliché Trio Stories Aloud
- We are going to read these stories aloud; split the story in half to share the reading, or alternate reading, using your dialogue for help.
- Here is your paper copy, which you will put in your manila folder after you read it aloud!
- I’ll have your story up on the screen.
- Commenting: for each story, audience members make three comments on the handout. Let’s talk about those now.
- I need someone to scroll down the stories as they’re being read—who can do that for me?
- After you read your story, we’re going to EDIT them together on the big screen—this is for EVERYONE, so EVERYONE needs to stay engaged and to help us.