Day Twelve--Friday, January 23rd, 2015
When You Come In
Please initial next to your name on the clipboard.
- Put your phone in the phone hostage station.
- Grab your manila folder off the front table.
- FW #3
- Earliest Memory Paragraph and Poem
- Page 3 (Put it back in your book!)
- Get out cliche stories.
- Get out your TWO Cliché Pair Story Comments sheet.
- We will finish sharing the stories today!
Writing Lessons Questions
- Why avoid clichés when we write?
- Why use precise, specific words to create imagery in the reader’s mind?
Writing Lesson: Use strong diction--Vocabulary Variety. (Pages 11-12)
- Use it anytime you have a writing assignment.
Vocabulary Variety Practice
- Vocabulary Variety Worksheet (page 13)
- Complete the worksheet.
- Work time = ten to twenty minutes
- Turn in page 13 to the drawer when completed. Make sure your name is at the top!
Personal Essay (on schoology)
- Your choices are Color, or Because of ________. (Requirements are on schoology.)
1. Open a blank google doc.
2. Copy the directions in red (below), then paste them into the top of your doc.
3. Read the directions carefully, so you BEGIN WITH THE END IN MIND.
4. Read the two choices you have for this assignment, then select the one you most want to write about.
5. Start your essay!
6. Finish for homework (due @ tardy bell THURSDAY.
You must answer "YES" to all the following questions for 100% on this assignment.
1. The piece is a minimum of 400 words. My word count is in parentheses beside my name.
2. I used paragraphs to show my shifting ideas.
3. I used the correct MLA format for heading.
4. I doublespaced the whole piece.
5. I included at least five specific examples to support what I’m saying--these five specific examples are highlighted in yellow.
6. I used thesaurus.com to replace at least five words I ordinarily use with five more powerful, precise words--these words are highlighted in pink.
7. All above items are complete by classtime Thursday at which time I will submit it to Willis/Wiley on google form.