2nd Block: Comprehension Strategies/ACT Prep
- Day ELEVEN--Thursday, January 22nd, 2015
When You Come In
Strategy Practice: Continuing and Finishing “Footbinding”
- Get a copy of the strategies you can use when you read to UNDERSTAND/COMPREHEND more, and to REMEMBER/RECALL more effectively.
- These strategies can be done in your head, or they can be done as annotations (or a mixture of both).
- Today, we’re going to practice them as annotations while I do a read-aloud.
- Today as I read, I’m going to stop, and I’m going to ask you to annotate using one of your reading strategies. This will be a slow process today, but when you do it on your own, it will go more quickly. Today is the training-wheels version.
- Finish numbering this reading. We are going to finish it today.
- Answer the questions (ten total) at the end of the reading by DISCUSSING them with your partner, and going to the text to find the answer.
- To the left of each number, write down the PARAGRAPH where you found the answer, if applicable.
- We will check this at 11:02.
- CORRECT your answers as we go--it’s part of your daily grade today. Thanks!
- Make sure your name is on it, and put your name at the top.
11:08--Read and Relax
- Get your daily reading log and your reading book
- Fill it out.
- Read and enjoy your just-right book.
--Read and relax!
Last Five Minutes
Complete your daily reading log
a. time ended
b. page ended
c. TOTAL PAGES READ.
2. Rate yourself. (5, 4, 3, 2, 1)
3. Put your daily reading log and book over on the table where it was when class started (or take your book with you, if you’re reading outside of class).