2nd Block: Comprehension Strategies/ACT Prep
Day One--January 5th, 2015
When You Come In
1. Find your seat (the one with an pink post-it note with your name on it), and drop off your stuff.
2. Initial next to your name on my clipboard for attendance (on the table at the front of the room).
3. Drop your phone in the phone hostage center. Put your phone BEHIND your name card, please.
My Goals for Today
Why We Study Vocabulary
Vocabulary can be developed:
Source: Family Readers
New Vocab Words
Synonym for NOVICE = apprentice
Antonym for NOVICE = expert
SYNONYMS FOR ADVERSITY
Examples of Adversity
5. Car accident
6. Losing someone special
7. Losing your job
Six-Way Paragraph—Understanding a Passage in Six Different Ways (20 minutes)
1. “Crack Shot”
2. Reading Strategy #1: Read the questions first! (Give yourself purpose.)
3. Reading Strategy #2: Consider the title, before, during and after reading.
4. Reading Strategy #3: Annotation (Talk to the text.)
We did this one together today, since it was our first time.
For full daily points today, you need three things on your paper: name, date, correct score for this assignment. (Remember, you get five full points for completing the assignment, checking it with me, and correcting it.)
Last Half-Hour of Class
Read and Relax
- By the time people finished the survey, most people had twenty-five minutes or so to read.
End of Class
- Place your free reading book in the pink and white cube, IF you don’t think you’ll read it outside of class.
- Grab your phones out of the hostage center.