- 2nd Block: Comprehension Strategies/ACT Prep
- DAY FOUR--January 12th, 2015
- Happy Monday!
When You Come In
1. Find your seat (the one with an pink post-it note with your name on it), and drop off your stuff.
2. Initial next to your name on my clipboard for attendance (on the table at the front of the room).
3. Drop your phone in the phone hostage center. Put your phone BEHIND your name card, please.
4. Grab your free reading book and your daily reading log (folder over on the book table).
Strategy Review: Prediction (Think back to “The Candy Bite” on Friday.)
- How does making predictions help us understand what we we read better?
Strategy Instruction: Visualization
1. What are our five senses?
2. What happens in your brain when you visualize what you’re reading?
3. You get a copy of “Oranges” to write on. When you write on a text in order to understand and remember it better, this is called “annotation.”
4. Just listen to the poem, one time through, as I read it.
5. Annotate when I ask you to.
6. Now go back through, and draw a box around OR highlight every SENSE you visualized.
- Together, talk about your highlights, and select two details for each of the five senses, and write them in the boxes.
- Each of you fills in the Visualizing boxes.
- Started @ 10:44 ; ending about 10:49
- When we finish, staple your visualizing sheet on top of the highlighted poem, then turn them into the drawer.
- Don’t forget your name and the date.
Bookmark Journal #1: Visualizing
- Strategy Practice = Bookmark Journal (handout)
- Write down AT LEAST TEN CONCRETE—exact quotes—from the book you’re reading today in class.
- This is your ticket out the door today. You will hand it to me as you walk out the door.
Read and Relax
- Get your daily reading log and your reading book
- Fill it out.
- Read and enjoy your just-right book.
Complete your daily reading log
a. time ended
b. page ended
c. TOTAL PAGES READ.
2. Rate yourself. (5, 4, 3, 2, 1)
3. Put your daily reading log and book over on the table where it was when class started.