Day Sixteen--Thursday, January 29th, 2015
When You Come In
- Write your name at the top of page 49, and leave it on the podium.
- Lay your photo on top of it, or have the photo viewable on your computer when I come around.
- Big Word for the Week = MEMOIR!
- Big Word from Last Week = DICTION! Do you have your Vocab Variety sheet from when we did the class poem?
Writing Assignment: Photo Memory (15 minutes—explanation and discussion)
1. Discuss the rubric (first rubric we’ve had this term) for the assignment. (p. 51)
2. Discuss the four main focal points of this memoir.
a. Conflict—battle between two opposing forces; realization; turning point; epiphany; problem; fight; struggle; obstacle; war; argument; difference; debate
b. Climax—culmination of the action; highest, most intense part of the plot
c. Setting—where and when the story occurs
d. Mood—feeling reader gets from the story; atmosphere
Pair-Share: Photo Memory
1. With a partner, discuss your page 49.
- Read each other your answers on page 49.
- What is the heart of the story you want to tell?
- What are you looking forward to in creating this narrative?
- What are you worried about?
Time = 11:56-12:16
When you finish, create your first first draft in google! :-)
Note: Keep the models (Gavin and Adam) going around, until everyone has a chance to flip through them, please.
Writing Workshop: Photo Memory (twenty minutes)
- Option #1: Photo Memory Memoir first draft (save in class folder)--have at least two pages for MONDAY’s peer conference.
- Option #2: I have four Post Secret books, if you want to peruse those for a bit.
- Option #3: Read Adam’s or Gavin’s memoir, if you feel it will help your own creative process.
Started about 12:01-12:05, and going until lunch
Writing Assignment Reminder (Out-of-Class)
- TWO Post Secret Post Cards are due FRIDAY, one to share, one to mail anonymously.
Silent Workshop Time from Now Until 1:35
Due when you come to class tomorrow:
- Two typed, doublespaced pages on your Photo Memory Memoir
- Two Post Secret Postcards (requirements on schoology)