3rd Block: Advanced Creative Writing
Day Seven--Thursday, January 15th, 2014
REVIEW: Big Word for the Week = DICTION!
1. What does it mean? What is it?
2. Why does one word matter?
3. How can it affect your writing?
Playing with Words!
1. Save the Words!
2. Let’s check out the words you feel deserve saying: https://docs.google.com/a/washington.k12.ia.us/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aopq4r-bWrm_dHBhN2c5SFYwemMwMy1fWTNhT3pzTWc&usp=drive_web#gid=0
3. Guess how you can save words? Use them! Make your own list, or use one you find. Keep ‘em alive!
BRAIN PAIN! SCRABBLE NAMES
- Calculate how many points you would get for spelling your name.
- Think of as many words as you can that have the same point value as your first name.
- Think of as many… for your first and last names combined.
- What is the highest point value word you can create?
1 point: a, e, i, l, n, o, r, s, t, u
2 points: d, g
3 points: b, c, f, m, p
4 points: h, v, w, y
5 points: k
8 points: j, x
10 points: q, z
Writing Experiment: Pinterest Poem (or Something Else!)
- Spend some time perusing the pinterest board.
- Select ONE prompt you’d like to try, for any of the following reasons:
- one you feel would yield an interesting result.
- one you feel would challenge you.
- one you feel drawn to today.
- one you’ve never tried before.
- Spend the rest of our classtime crafting this piece.
- Save it in the class folder.
- Be ready for a peer conference over it tomorrow.