Thursday, December 11th
Day 35--Happy Thursday!
(Nine days remaining)
When You Come In
- Please sign in.
- Please pick up the TWO yellow vocab sheets for our last reading together: George Orwell’s Animal Farm.
Directions for After the Oedipus Rex Final
- Turn it in to the drawer.
- Start with either one of your yellow vocab lists. Go word by word, and write down TWO EXEMPLARS of people, places, situations or things for that word.
- If you get stumped, skip ahead to another word.
- Do as many as you can before I stop you.
Preparing to Read the Novel
- On the top of your copy of Animal Farm, write the following statement: “This book is a FABLE.”
- Let’s discuss what a fable is. What are the characteristics of a FABLE? Write them underneath the statment, “This book is a FABLE.”
- Let’s read/view a few short fables, so you have a couple of examples to consider: https://docs.google.com/a/washington.k12.ia.us/document/d/11Q52VglFLWFbBp_5GLj8QQ5vNicHng3kGltsPhpPp-w/edit#
- Get out your two vocab lists. You should be on the lookout for CONNECTIONS as you are reading today.
- HIGHLIGHT vocab words when you see them, and write the definitions out to the side as part of your annotating, please.
12:15--Animal Farm Reading Assignment
- Read chapters one and two, pages 1-14.
- Annotate carefully:
- make inferences
- ask questions
- make predictions
- make connections
- highlight (or underline) vocab and define it
- Create a list of characters in your notes (...either on paper or on computer; you will turn them in for a note-taking grade) to keep them straight; list characteristics each time the animal is mentioned. Here’s what my character list looks like: https://docs.google.com/a/washington.k12.ia.us/document/d/11Jmly0-bIvAr5NbsZNRzTf7VPv1pBy7EE_yEzmuVu08/edit
- We will have a reading quiz tomorrow over chapters one and two.
- Read and annotate chapters one and two (quiz tomorrow).
- Study your Animal Farm vocabulary (two lists).
- Government Terms: http://quizlet.com/51753575/animal-farm-government-terms-flash-cards/
- General Vcabulary: http://quizlet.com/51753669/animal-farm-general-vocabulary-flash-cards/