Wednesday, November 12th, 2014
When You Come In
- Sign in, please.
- Put your phone in the hostage center.
- Make sure your Ghosts, Monsters, Bullies poem is saved in the class google folder “Ghost, Monsters, Bullies,” then shut your computer. Please and thank you!
Assignment #1: Death of Language
- I talked about three different people’s mid-way grade checks from yesterday.
- I reminded people if they had a “4” on a reason, they should continue on in the same way.
- If people had “1,” “2”, or “3,” they need to do more work today and tomorrow to beef up their answers to the “A” range.
- I also reminded people to look at their grades side-by-side, and see if there was general agreement between their two graders.
- We had twenty minutes to work on this assignment, which is due tomorrow.
Work Time = 2:08-2:28
Assignment #2: “I Am a Russian Tailor” Poem
- Re-read your poem.
- Experiment with line breaks to make some lines shorter.
- Add details.
- Make sure you feel you have a solid first draft that can be peer conferenced tomorrow.
Assignment #3: When You Finish the Russian Tailor Poem
Go to our class folder, and find the spreadsheet called “Strongest Russian Tailor Line”, and copy and paste your BEST LINE there: https://docs.google.com/a/washington.k12.ia.us/spreadsheets/d/1zRFGSjzkdgoprWVxEt-YDHQ-kG7QWHB_rma-uIQBX-Q/edit#gid=0
Started 2:40; ending 2:55
Assignment #4: Vocabulary Work
- Quizlet--study the poetry vocab, until you can score 100% or better on the Test--test yourself on “written” and “matching” only, since that is how the paper test will be formatted: http://quizlet.com/54773227/poetry-terms-2014-flash-cards/
- Then move on to the new word list I made for you, ACT Prep Word List #1: http://quizlet.com/57792340/act-words-set-1-flash-cards/
- WE WILL HAVE THE VOCAB QUIZ TOMORROW! I know I said this yesterday, but this time, I really mean it! :-)
How Do I Revise a Poem?
- Today, you are going to revise a poem. You choose which one:
- Ghosts, Monsters, Bullies (peer conferenced)
- Earliest Memory.(read and conferenced by KW)
- Before I have you review your peer conference comments and decide which one you’ll revise, I want you to analyze what revision looks like.
- Turn to page 17. The directions are at the bottom of the page.
- Once you complete your part, I will partner you up.
- Discuss the revisions you saw with your partner.
- Write down specifically what Gracey did to revise. Examples:
- change title
- added the word _____
- deleted the word _____
- changed the dog’s name to just “your dog”
- Death of Language, all twenty completed with “4” reasons
- Quizlet poetry terms (quiz tomorrow)