Day Eighteen--Happy Friday!
September 12th, 2014
When You Come In
- Please write your name at the top of your “It’s Greek to Me” article.
- Write me one sentence at the top of your packet: what I am proudest of in my annotations so far is _____________________________________.
- Sign in, please!
- Save a color picture--just one pic--of your slideshow figure in the google folder I’ve created--make it the one that best shows who/what this creature/god/monster is!
- Check schoology and the blog every day for due dates, etc.
College-Prep Skill: Note-Taking by Hand
History Channel’s “Gods and Goddesses”
1. Some of what you’re about to hear will be familiar, reinforcing material you’re learning.
2. Some will be brand new.
3. What strategies do you have for note-taking?
4. Take five minutes to quietly review the three websites YOU said would be most helpful to you in college note-taking. These should be bookmarked on your computer.
5. At the top of your notebook paper, write down THREE pieces of advice you’re going to follow today to take useful notes. (Let’s share five or six here:)
- Only take notes on one side of the paper.
- Listen to key words/phrases--REPEATED.
- Don’t write down complete sentences--waste of time; summarize or get main points.
- Don’t worry about spelling or grammar.
- Be consistent with your form and with your abbreviation.
6. Monday: Look at a few people’s notes on the big screen.
7. How are you connecting the dots from our Greek myth study?
8. Listen for MOTIFS—recurring ideas and themes, and write them down!
- Hand them in to the drawer, please.
9:25--Greek Myth Vocab
- Take the Roman names quiz, then turn it at my table.
- Start the quizlet homework
- Study how Greek myth and language affected our own: http://quizlet.com/47972409/greek-myth-references-affecting-language-flash-cards/
Happy Friday, September 12th, 2014!
When You Come In—Do these things before the tardy bell, please.
- Initial attendance on the clipboard on the front table.
- Grab a new vocab sheet.
- Pick up your book and daily reading sheet.
- Get a new pink sheet. You only record IN-CLASS reading on this. If you are reading outside of class, I will give you an orange sheet to track your time on, if you want to bank it for a day you might be absent.
New Vocab (handout)
- to pacify
Vocab Review: Vocab Picture Quiz #2
Six-Way Paragraph = Gruesome Plants!
- Read and relax when you finish; we will pair-share and check this at the end of the block.
Read and Relax
- Book chats?
- kenzi marek
- Jonny Graf
Vocab Tickets (4th block only)
- I will hand them out and explain them.
- I’m giving everyone three (for your other classes)--put one in each subject folder, so you have them ready.
- I’ll give you more whenever you use these up.