Wednesday, January 8th, 2013
10:15-10:45 Work Period
1. Conference w/me at my desk about WE#9 when I call you back.
2. Conference w/Megan about your portfolio progress when she calls you back.
3. Revise: Do ONE piece you know you need to revise for your portfolio.
Last New Writing Assignment: Fifty-Word Stories!
1. Handout—please follow the directions.
2. You need to complete the reading and selecting your three favorites done today.
3. If you finish, you can start writing yours, but I will give you half forty minutes tomorrow for writing them.
January 8, 2014
Please put the Listening to College Podcasts pink sheets by my candle AFTER you put your name on them. Thanks! J
1. Which story from Friday would you recommend as a strong story?
a. “Good Guys and Good Old Boys”
b. “The Reveal”
c. “Ruthie’s Dinner”
d. “Crashing the Democratic Party”
e. “Stars, Rockets and Moons”
f. “Sibling Rivalry”
2. What made it a good story?
3. What are some of the important elements of a short story (quizlet terms?).
4. Today’s Story = “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty,” by James Thurber
Ø Journal started at 11:42; ending at 11:52
Ø Only I will read it.
Ø Please write your name in big letters across the top of your packet! Thanks!
Reading and Annotating
1. I read aloud for ten minutes before lunch, and we discussed as we went.
2. After lunch, read and annotate the rest of the story on your own.
3. Label each fantasy scenario. For example, so far we have the following:
a) Commander--on a Navy ship during intense weather
b) Doctor—performing a difficult surgery on a prominent patient
2. When you finish reading, see me, and I’ll assign you one question from page seven.
3. Use a highlighter to find and mark evidence that will support your answer. (Pretend you’re a lawyer, trying to prove your case to a jury. What you highlight will be the evidence you pile up to convince the jury you are correct.)
4. Write a paragraph that answers your assigned question (at the bottom of page 7 and on the back, please).
5. If you finish everything above, study fiction terms on quizlet, please.
6. We will share these _______.