Happy Thursday, 8/23/2012!
Announcement: (2:20 dismissal schedule)
Vocabulary Review (5 minutes)
· Example of people who are NOVICES
· Examples of adversities
o Good fortune
o Good luck
Vocabulary—New (15 minutes)
Antonym = DIRECT; STRAIGHTFORWARD
1. The road to Riverside is circuitous, so sometimes I slow down on the curves.
2. I needed to waste time, so I took a CIRCUITOUS route to get where I wanted to go.
Synonyms for AUGMENT:
1. To broaden
2. To expand
3. To supplement
4. To increase
5. To magnify
6. To intensify
7. To enhance
8. To enlarge
9. To widen
10. To amplify
Six-Way Paragraph—Understanding a Passage in Six Different Ways (20 minutes)
1. “The Story of the Hamburger”
2. Reading Strategy #1: Read the questions first! (Give yourself purpose.)
3. Reading Strategy #2: Consider the title, before, during and after reading.
4. Reading Strategy #3: Annotation (Talk to the text.)
5. When you finish, read your book. I’ll let you know when everyone is finished.
6. Started Time: _______
7. We’ll check and discuss your answers.
8. You’ll score your quiz, then put it in the drawer for a daily grade.
9. MAKE SURE YOUR NAME AND THE DATE IS ON IT!
Independent Reading (30 minutes)
Handout: Reading Log (Review expectations for reading time.)
Time: Thirty minutes to read
Last Five Minutes of Class
1. Complete your pink daily reading log: time ended, end page, and TOTAL PAGES READ.
2. Text me how many pages you read today. Be honest and exact, please and thank you!
3. Put your pink sheet and book over on the table where it was this morning.
· Make sure you have a binder and five dividers for tomorrow, please.