Monday, September 19, 2011

Monday, September 19th, 2011

Hello, Reading!
Day Seventeen

When You Come In
·       Please sign in.
·       Please get the TWO green vocab sheets off my desk.
·       Please find your new seat.  This is your reminder that the term is one-third over.  Have you finished book one, and are you started on book two?  If not, you need to start reading outside of class.

New Vocabulary
·       Austere  Opposite = fancy; luxurious
·       Catalyst
o   My Decision:  I made a Hot Pocket
o   The Catalyst:  I was hungry.
o   My Decision:  I cleaned my room.
o   The Catalyst:  My mom said I couldn’t go out with friends until my room was clean.

Read-Aloud and Strategy Practice
·       Make an Inference!
o   Inference versus Obseravtion
§  Observation is what you see.
§  Inference is what you figure out.
o   Far Side Cartoon
o   Williams Jay Smith poem
A silver-scaled dragon with jaws flaming red
Sits at my elbow and toasts my bread.
I hand him fat slices, and then, one by one,
He hands them back when he sees they are done.
o   Sentences from “A Pair of Silk Stockings” (Handout)
·        “The Wife’s Tale”
o   We started this in first block (ten minutes), and we’ll continue it tomorrow.
o   In second block, I handed the pages out and explained them, but we didn’t begin the story.

Read and Relax (thirty minutes)
·       Lindsay
·       Haley
·       Jo
·       Morgan C.
·       Katie Z.
·       Mariah
·       Alan S.
·       Jase
·       Kelby
·       Allan R.
·       Travis





Hey, AP!
Monday, 9/19/2011
Day Seventeen

When You Come In:
·       Please sign in!
·       Please pick up the two blue papers on my desk.
·       Find a new seat—NOT in the same place with the same people as the last three weeks.  Put your name on a sticky note, and plaster it on your new chair!

Metaphor Challenge
·       Find the strongest metaphor on the face of the planet, or at least a phenomenal one that grabs you by the throat. 
o   Metaphor:  a direct comparison of two unlike things
o   Simile:  a comparison of two unlike things using “like” or “as”

Here’s my nomination:
“How I wish you could see the potential,
the potential of you and me.
It's like a book elegantly bound but,
in a language that you can't read.
Just yet.”
--Death Cab for Cutie, “I Will Possess Your Heart”

Due Date:  Friday, 11:20AM, saved in the “Metaphors” collection/folder in google docs

Journal Quote:  Poetry—it’s our focus for the next week and a half.
11:33-11:43
·       “Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.”
--Leonardo da Vinci quotes (Italian draftsman, Painter, Sculptor, Architect and Engineer whose genius epitomized the Renaissance humanist ideal.

·       “Poetry is a deal of joy and pain and wonder, with a dash of the dictionary.”
 --Kahlil Gibran quotes (Lebanese born American philosophical Essayist, Novelist and Poet. 1883-1931)

·       “If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.”
--Emily Dickinson quotes (American Poet who has been called the New England mystic, 1830-1886)

People I need journals back from today:
·       Mitch
·       Jared
·       Cammy
·       Jessica

Poetry Scavenger Hunt
·       (Handout)
·       Started at 11:49; worked until 12:45, with thirty-five minutes out for lunch.

Poetry—Some Direction on How to Approach
·       “The Nature of Proof in the Interpretation of Poetry, by Laurence Perrine (pages 22-30)
·       We read and discussed pages 23 and 24 in class.  We talked about tone, argument, They Say/I Say—and we basically summarized each paragraph in our own words.


Organization
·       We made sure our final drafts of the minimalism essay were saved on google docs, and we handed in our rough drafts and peer conferences.

Homework
·       DUE TUESDAY:  Read Perrine, pages 23-27, and make careful, thoughtful, specific annotations on each page--show your thinking so I can see what you see, hear, and think.
·       DUE WEDNESDAY:  Vocab Sushi
·       DUE FRIDAY:  Earth-shattering Metaphor (saved in folder on google docs)

No comments: