· Put everything in date order, from oldest to newest (for a grade).
WHAT IT IS
WHAT SECTION IT GOES IN
Picture Quiz #1
61 Blowing Their Tops
51 The Story of the Hamburger
Vocabulary Review #1
Daily Vocab Sheets
| || |
· Encroach (green handout)
o Write a sentence that talks about a time someone ENCROACHED on you, your belongings, etc.
· I got angry when Mr. Wieland ENCROACHED on my space by bringing his 4th block Spanish class into my room!
· The Wilton team ENCROACHED on our belongings when they got into our bags and took our cell phones.
Read and Relax
· Bookmark Journal—Finish Visualizing Bookmark.
· Come back and see me at my desk when it’s your turn. Bring your blue sheet back with you!
· Vocabulary Clarifications
When You Leave Today
· Get your gold make-up reading sheet out of your folder, and put in in your book.
· Leave your binder on the circle table.
· Turn in your Bookmark Journal #2 (folder on circle table).
· Turn in your blue daily reading log (folder on circle table).
· Read for ONE HOUR.
· Fill out your make-up reading sheet.
· DUE: Tuesday when you come in
Journal—Free Write #1 (Title and date it, please.) 11:24-11:34
· Write for a full ten minutes on any topic of your choosing.
· Add to our Text Code Chart—woo-hoo!
New Unit Focus: Minimalism! Who’s excited?! J
· “Popular Mechanics” (pp. 16-17)—short story by Raymond Carver
a. Read and annotate the story.
b. Answer questions 1-5 in your journal. Use a complete sentence or two for each one!
c. Label your answers, “Popular Mechanics” Reading Journal, please.
d. Pair-share with a new partner. Afterwards, we will discuss as a class ONLY those responses you and your partner have questions about.
e. When you talk about what you think (I SAY), make sure you point to a few words from the text that MADE you think this (THEY SAY).
· Get with your group, and create a tableaux.
· Fill out your “Dramatic Tableaux” worksheet (ONE per group).
· We’ll perform the tableaux pieces in fifteen minutes! Yay!
End of Class
· Start your homework.
It’s ALL due Tuesday, 9/6, when you come to class!
1. Vocab Sushi
· Complete the ASSIGNMENT that’s due 9/6.
· Take the QUIZ that’s due 9/6.
· Read the syllabus on pages 2-4.
· Paraphrase it for your parents, and tell them what we’ve been doing in class.
· Have them sign the bottom of page 4, indicating they’ve got an idea of what class is all about.
3. “Popular Mechanics” Reading Journal Questions (p. 17)
a. Type your THREE answers in complete, developed sentences—academic language!
b. Say what you want to say (what you think), and then say what the story said (textual evidence).
c. Answer all parts of the question.
· 6, 7, 8 = Diedrich - Mullens
· 9, 11, 12 = Murphy - Zehr