Welcome to 4th Term! :-)
- Free Write #1--write for ten minutes on any topic of your choosing.
- Write for the entire time--do not stop. Switch topics as necessary.
Begin with the End in Mind
- We talked about what this means--starting something with a clear idea of where you're going to end up.
- We looked at last term's final portfolios in trios.
- We discussed them and filled out page 21--Portfolio Viewing.
- We talked about page 21 as a class as well.
- Partner cards--how I use them; why I used them
- How and were to hand in an assignment
- I passed out tips from last term's class, and we worked on them for five minutes along, then shared answers with partners, then discussed as a class.
- We will continue this sheet throughout the week.
- We read the literary magazine for fifteen minutes.
Organization and Explanation
- I showed everyone where to find books in the room.
- Everyone selected a book, and I buzzed around the room and talked a bit about each one, and about what category it would fit in.
- I talked about the need for people to be independent learners.
- We looked at the page with grades and categories and clarified what each category was.
- I handed out the yellow procedures packet, and I talked about the first page.
- We discussed then practiced the Read-Think-Share procedure we're going to use every day in here.
- Austin modeled how to check out a book, and everyone who needed to did that.
- We read for thirty minutes today.