Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

CREATIVE WRITING

Due
  • Writing Experiment
Organization
  • We went over the plan for the next three weeks.
  • We passed back papers, and we did a folder log-in.
Warm-Up
  • Similes (p. 54)--we talked about what they are, and I gave people a list of two-column words to put together in similes.  We worked for a few minutes, traded papers with a partner for feedback, then shared a few of our answers.
Writing Lesson
  • Writing to Describe (pp. 58-9)--I read Orwell's passage, and we circled words that were strong diction, and we underlined words that created strong imagery.  We also looked at how Orwell used similes to show, instead of just tell.
Writing Reminder
  • I had everyone look at Vocabulary Variety on pages 60-61, as a reminder of the resource.
Writing Assignment
  • I handed back the Perfect Moments writing experiment we did last week, and I had people re-read them to remind themselves of their perfect moments.
  • Perfect Moment Memoir (pp. 68-9)  I explained the purpose of the assignment, and what the end product would look and sound like.  I read an example from Kylie, and then people had about twenty minutes to type a rough draft.
Homework
  • Portfolio
HACAW


Organization
  • We talked about how we're going to spend our last fourteen days:  Fiction and Revision.
Warm-Up
  • Metaphor Mishaps (p. 9)--We talked about WHY using metaphors and similes usually strengthens your writing--but that sometimes they can go horribly wrong.  We took a few minutes to create some of our own, and then we shared a few gems.
Writing Experiment
  • Extended Metaphor Poem (pp. 66-7)--I explained what this poem is, and then I read several models.  We had a little under twenty minutes to type, print, and turn in.
Fiction
  • I passed out the Short Story Proposal sheet (due Thursday, when you come in), and I went over my expectations for that and answered questions.
  • I showed a powerpoint on the elements of fiction as a reminder of the things you'll need to consider when you write your own story.
  • I passed out and explained the Rent-a-Character assignment--one-to-two typed double spaced pages.
Homework
  • Rent-a-Character (due when you come in tomorrow)
  • Short Story Proposal (due when you come in Thursday)

No comments: