- We started class with Greta and Nolan reading the parts of the wife and husband, with no narration between.
- We discussed how this affected our reading of the poem, what we heard that was new.
- We talked about general questions and insights people had.
- We talked about a couple of the RJ questions.
- We talked about the roles our culture assigns to men and women.
- We started out by discussing people's reactions to the "Problems in Interpretation" section of the essay.
- We finished with me reading aloud most of page 16.
- We had about twenty-five minutes to get into our groups and finalize our preparations for tomorrow's presentations.
- Complete the Perrine RJ (questions on p. 12), re-reading the essay as necessary.
Six-Way Paragraph--Blowing Their Tops
- Today we did the paragraph as a class. I reminded people of pre-reading strategies (Look at the title, and think about what it could mean; read the questions first), and then I read the piece aloud. As I read, I stopped when I could make a connection with one of the questions I'd read. When I finished the paragraph, as a class we talked about which answers were best. We focused on the strategy of eliminating choices you KNOW can't be right.
- "What I like most about this book is...."
- I showed how to finish this sentence with the book I'm reading, Into Thin Air.
- Seven people did their book blurbs today. We'll hear the rest tomorrow and Friday.
Read and Relax
- We had thirty minutes to read.
- We threw up some Vocabutoons for ALOOF, CONNOISSEUR, and INCONGRUOUS. People recorded definitions, etc, on their green grids.
- We made vocabulary cards for our six most recent words.
- Read for thirty minutes at home tonight.