- People got binder #2 together.
- At the end of the block, everyone handed in his/her RJ for me to review.
- People starred their most thoughtful answer.
- We began discussion with anything the class wanted to talk about, and then we discussed RJ questions as chosen by the class.
- We talked about what it might be, based on Carver's story.
- I handed out a page of notes about minimalism as well.
- We continued presentations today: Kate presented Demeter; Nolan and Jackie presented The Fates; Greta presented Nike; John presented Narcissus; and Anne presented Midas.
- Read, highlight and annotate pages ix-14 in your gold text.
- We labeled our dividers and put them in our binder.
- We put in papers we've done thus far in date order.
- I went around the room and checked for binders and dividers for a homework grade.
- We reviewed our three old words--novice, adversity, impudent.
- We learned two new words--circuitous and augment.
- I read aloud "The Candy Bite", and I modeled making predictions.
- We read through the piece as a class that way, with various students jumping in with their own predictions.
- We talked about how closely we paid attention to the story as we were reading, and we talked about how well we could recall the events of the story, since we'd been really THINKING about the story as we read it.
Read and Relax
- We got our reading logs to track our reading, and then we had thirty minutes to read in third block.