Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tuesday, 3/31/2009

AP

Discussion:  "A Rose for Emily" and Connotation Versus Denotation
  • We talked A BUNCH about "A Rose for Emily", discussing questions submitted by people at the beginning of class (about forty minutes).  We'll continue these tomorrow and Thursday.
  • We reminded ourselves of Professor Foster's suggestion:  Don't read with your eyes.
  • We talked about the difference between "connotation" and "denotation", and then we worked through pages 37-40 in the book, reading two poems about roaches, then taking a quick quiz.
  • We talked about racism.
Homework
  • Read the biographical information (0ne page) on George Orwell (p. 41).
  • Read his essay, "Shooting an Elephant" (pages 42-45).
  • Answer the following four RJ questions:  #2, #6, #7, #8.

MODERN PROSE
  • I reminded people about turning in permission slips.
  • I reminded people about how to do make-up reading.
  • We read for about seventy-five minutes.
EARTHBOOK
We asked ourselves some questions to set the tone for the rest of term:
  • Why am I here?
  • Do I treat the writing of others with the same fairness and respect with which I treat my own?
  • How's my attitude?  Am I passionate?  Poisonous?
  • Do I constantly remind myself of the power I possess?  Am I worthy of it?
  • Am I a complainer?  Or do I try to think and act in an optimistic way?

Brittany gave us an update on submissions--327 read, 127 in, and 200 out (38% acceptance rate thus far).

We read and selected for about forty minutes.

Committees met as follows:
  • Layout met to sort the "ins".
  • Publicity met to look for paper possibilities.
  • Allie and Brittany typed, and Asbury sorted to help them.

No comments: