Welcome to Creative Writing!
Thursday, January 23rd, 2014
NOTE: What we are about to perform is an exorcism:
v An exorcism: “the expulsion or attempted expulsion of an evil spirit from a person or place.”
v To exorcise: “drive out or attempt to drive out (an evil spirit) from a person or place.”
Welcome to TURBO-ACW! J
Thursday, January 23, 2014
Watch Where You Put That Word!
Word order is crucial in determining the meaning of a sentence. James hit Charles is very different from Charles hit James.
See how many alternative sentences you can build using all the words in this sentence:
Rodrigo left Clara the keys and a note.
· How does the meaning of the sentence change as you shift words around?
· Are some words easier to shift than others?
1. Rodrigo left Clara a note and the keys.
2. The keys left Rodrigo and Clara a note.
3. A note left Rodrigo and Clara the keys.
4. A note left the keys, Rodrigo, and Clara.
5. Clara Rodrigo left a note and the keys.
6. Clara left Rodrigo a note and the keys.
7. Clara left the keys and Rodrigo a note.