Thursday, September 20, 2012

Thursday, 9/20/2012


Happy Thursday, 9/20/2012!                                     Day 21

When You Come In
1.      Sign in.
2.     Grab a new pink daily reading log.
3.     Grab your free reading book.
4.     Clear your desk, and spread your words out on your desk, picture side up.

Vocabulary Review
1.      Repeat after me, and show me your card, word side to me.

Vocabulary Card Connections
1.      Spread your cards out on your desk, word side up.
2.     Look for CONNECTIONS between words.  (If you can see connections between words, that means you’re really learning them and understanding their meanings.)
3.     Make piles of your connections.
4.     We will share our connection sentences aloud on the BIG SCREEN.  If one of the sentences sparks a connection in your mind, write it down.

Models
1.           I CHASTISED the NOVICE pizza maker when he mistakenly put anchovies all over my cheese-only pizza.
2.          I had to SCRUTINIZE the foam cup to see whether or not the seed had GERMINATED.
3.         After Wanda ENCROACHED on me while I was eating, I CHASTISED her severely.  But she apologized, and she gave me a cookie, so I was PACIFIED.
4.          Mike the Situation was acting HAUGHTY with Ron, and he hit his head on the wall.  Even though it hurt, he was RESILIENT and got back up and went back to arguing with Ron.
5.         The sequin CONNOISSEUR was the first person I called when I found out I had to bedazzle and EMBELLISH my sweater.

Daily Work  (This should look like the sentence models I showed you.)
1.      Head your paper “VOCABULARY CONNECTIONS, 9/20), and put your name on it!
2.     Grading:  I will be looking for FIVE well-written connection sentences in your notes for a daily grade.
3.     Put your Vocabulary Connections in the drawer when you’re done
4.     Read your free reading book until everyone is finished.

Six-Way Paragraph—Understanding a Passage in Six Different Ways
1.           Reading Strategy #1:  Read the questions first!  (Give yourself purpose.)
2.          Reading Strategy #2:  Consider the title, before, during and after reading.
3.         Reading Strategy #3:  Annotation (Talk to the text.)

64  A Bitter Feud—w/a partner today
1.      Use your strategies!
2.     Check and discuss as a class.
3.     Score it, date it, and put your name on it!
4.     Turn it in to the drawer!

Read and Relax (30 minutes)
·      I will have book chats with you, if your name is here:
o   Mikayla
o   Stephanie
o   Josh

No comments: