Welcome to Creative Writing!
Writing Experiment #1
1. Select ONE of the following choices to write about.
2. Type for the full twenty minutes. (doublespace, please)
3. Print to room 212, but do NOT go get it.
DUE: in the drawer, when our twenty minutes is up
Starting at 11:32; Ending at 11:55
#1: Spilled Popcorn
What’s the worst movie you’ve seen recently? Imagine you’re a film critic and write a couple of paragraphs tearing this movie to shreds.
#2: I’m Grateful
Even the dreariest, most awful weeks aren’t bad twenty-four hours a day. Think of a few things that have happened this week that you’re grateful for.
#3: Breaking Up
Woody Allen once said,
“It’s better to be the leaver than the leavee.”
No one will read this one but me.
WRITING LESSON FROM YESTERDAY, CONTINUED
1. Create anti-clichés (p. 12). (Ten Minutes) (Started 12:38; ending 1:47)
a. It has to make sense! (be true)
b. It has to be original.
c. It has to put a picture in our heads!
If you’ve done your best work, and you have time leftover, read Earthbook quietly for enjoyment, and fill out page 6.
2. Trade three times for smileys.
a. Read your partner’s ten anti-clichés.
b. Put a smiley and your initials by the TWO you feel are strongest.
3. Everyone share his/her best anti-cliché.
4. Skim and scan pages 13-14, and do the following.
a. Put a question mark by clichés you don’t understand,
b. Put a smiley by ones you like (even though they’re cliché).
c. Put a check-mark by the ones you’ve heard gazillions of times.
5. NOW: Pair-share your responses.
6. I’ll explain any that are still unclear.