- I explained the agenda--its purpose and location.
- Why are we in this class? I explained how people are selected for the class, and that nine weeks from now, we're all going to be stronger readers.
- How do we talk to Ms. Willis? I went over the right way and the wrong way to approach me with questions and concerns. Thanks to Shannyn (1st) and Colin (2nd) for helping me out.
- We wrote questions we each had about class; then we pair-shared about what questions we have about class. Finally, I answered people's questions. (I will need to finish this tomorrow.)
- Everyone wrote a letter to me about what I need to know about them in order to work better with them in class.
- Why do we do what we do in this class? Because research says it works. (For each activity we did today, I explained WHY we were doing it, why it works.)
- We learned two new words: NOVICE and ADVERSITY.
- We spent ten minutes or so reading Earthbook as a way of finding out what "Just Right Reading" is--finding a text you can read easily and comfortably.
- I reminded everyone about what the agenda is, and why it's there.
- I told everyone what supplies were needed: binder; spiral; five dividers; highlighter.
Wikispace--I explained the benefits to using our site: ourap.wikispaces.com
- It allows everyone an equal chance to speak and be "heard".
- It encourages listening--you have to read each other's comments.
- It provides for continuation of or preparation for class discussions.
- It provides a break from the Reading Journal, with less formality.
What Do We Want Out of AP English?
- We discussed people's wallwisher responses. We will come back to these goals throughout the term.
What does a good reader do? What does a good writer do?
- We discussed each of these in pair-shares, and we'll discuss them in more detail tomorrow.
- I explained the purposes of the www.vocabsushi.com site, and everyone created an account, took the placement test, then started playing games and exploring the site. I recorded everyone's beginning level. We'll use this site weekly--our goal being growth in our vocabulary.