- We got the first section of the textbook.
- We discussed the need for a binder, and spiral and a set of dividers for class.
- LeGuin's quote--it's US AS READERS that make a story a story!
- What have you marked and annotated in your book?
- What questions do you have?
- What vocabulary words are vexing you?
- Lucas and Asbury talked about STYLE and TONE (two of Professor Foster's "eighteen beauties").
- Read "Good Readers and Good Writers" on pages 5-7.
- Answer questions 1-10 in your spiral. Use complete, thoughtful sentences.
- We got our textbooks and put them in binders.
- I answered some of your questions about what this class is all about.
- Free Write #1 (ten minutes on any topic, any genre)
Beginning with the End in Mind
- We spent about half an hour looking at portfolios from second term and filling out page 8 in our textbook.
- Word choice is diction. Diction is important. :-) We play the last ten minutes playing Catchphrases to see how skilled we are at using diction. :-)
ADVANCED CREATIVE WRITING
- We got our textbooks.
- We wrote down some writing activities we'd like to try this term.
- "I Had the Weirdest Dream" (p. 1)
- We looked at a model, and then we created our own poems.
- Banished Words (pp. 9-13)
- We talked about a whole bunch of batches of them, and then we started making our own lists!